Monday, September 5, 2011

Love Made Visible

"Work is love made visible." Kahlil Gibran

The beauty of handmade things is the ability to see the love of the maker in them. Each of my scarves embodies my love of the luscious yarn, the side-to-side and click-to-clack rhythm of the loom, the quiet solitude, the warmth or comfort or fashion or delight it will provide its wearer, my love for the family I am trying to create.

Handmade things, like my scarves, make this love visible, make it obvious. But I like to think about this visible love even while I do invisible work like washing dishes or putting things away. When I wash the dishes I am loving my husband, who won't have to do them. When I put things away I am loving my future self who will be so pleased with a tidy space. When I clean the litter box I am loving my cats. When I teach yoga I am loving my students.

"And what is it to work with love?
It is to weave the cloth with threads drawn from your heart,
even as if your beloved were to wear that cloth.
It is to charge all things you fashion with a breath of your own spirit,
And to know that all the blessed dead
are standing about you and watching." KG

Beloved Reader, I wish you a Happy Labor Day. I hope you are finding love in your work.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...