Thursday, August 18, 2011

Let's Start at the Very Beginning

You've already met Scarves 9 and 10. Let me introduce Scarf 1, which was made and hugged and sent off to live with its new owner before I had found my current scheme of photographing scarves with numbers. Scarf 1 has a cotton warp (those lengthwise strands of yarn) and a fuzzy mohair weft (the side-to-side strands). After weaving it up, I hand felted the mohair until it got all matted and soft and secure, essentially holding the cotton threads in place. Here's a close-up:

I'd intended to use the teal mohair for both the warp and weft, but after I'd gotten it all set up (not a quick process, let me assure you) it became clear that it was too hairy and was sticking to itself too much to weave with. So I had to take the whole thing apart. It looked really beautiful while getting set up though, didn't it?


Lessons Learned:
1. Don't try to use sticky yarn for the warp.
2. Closely related but slightly different shades look pretty together.
3. When at first you don't succeed, make 99 more scarves anyway.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...