Monday, October 31, 2011

Community Support



I should call this post: Community Supported Farm Supports Community.

For the past four years, we've been the lucky subscribers of a lovely CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) from a local farm owned by the Scott Family in Seguin, Texas. We love the delicious variety of vegetables, herbs, and fruit - many of which we wouldn't ever get to try otherwise - but we also really love the Scotts, who are just the nicest people you could hope to meet. Over the years many of our family members and friends have joined as well.
A few times per season they host work days, where you can help plant or harvest in exchange for a discount on your share. You are never required to attend work days, but we enjoy them - the pleasures of working outside, seeing where our food comes from, and good company are hard to beat. I haven't been able to go for the past few months because they've conflicted with my yoga schedule, but Henry has gone without me, often with one of our friends.
Today I got an email from one of the Scotts (edited for brevity):

+ + + + + +
Brennan and Henry told me about your scarf making when they were here a couple weeks ago. It sounded really interesting especially the one that made Henry look like George Clooney.

We're building a webpage, on scottarbor.com, with info about some of our member's businesses. The idea is to support the people who support the farm. Please let me know if I can include you and your scarves.
+ + + + + +

These wonderful people, who've just fought through the worst drought in over a hundred years, are actively thinking about how better to support their community! So lovely and inspiring.
As you have already guessed, I said yes, and before you could say lickety-split Scarf 15 was already gracing the front page.

Community is such a blessing. I feel such gratitude for all my communities who have supported this project, for all people who support their local farmers, and for the lovely Scotts.

(More scarves coming soon! Stay tuned!)


1 comment:

mama bee said...

Wow! That is so awesome. And you deserve so much awesome in your life. I hope it keeps coming your way. I think I'm going to try to finish my post about how awesome you are on my blog now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...