Thursday, June 7, 2012

Happy Birthday Headband


My favorite niece is turning seven today.  Seven!  What a great age!  To honor her birthday I did something I never do:  I followed a pattern.  In all my creative pursuits - cooking, knitting, crocheting, collage -  I usually make things up or modify an existing recipe heavily.  Weaving usually requires a lot of planning and math, but with my table loom it's very intuitive - very let's-see-how-this-goes - which suits me perfectly.  

If you follow me on Pinterest, you know that I pin a lot of craft projects, but the honest truth is that I rarely make them.  Sometimes I riff off an idea, sure, but I rarely follow the pattern.  Then along came Maya Donnenfeld's new book, Reinvention.  You may recognize Maya's hugely popular coffee bean bins, which were a hit on etsy and led to her developing the patterns for this book.  All the projects use materials that had a previous life, from jeans and vintage linens to tyvek mailers.  I want to make about half of them, but I probably won't because, well, you know.  I don't follow patterns.

 But with a new seven-year-old in the making, I simply couldn't resist the allure of these sweet little Blossom Bands, as Maya calls them.  They're made from old t-shirts, which of course I just happen to have on hand (being the craft hoarder that I am), and stitched together by hand.  I mostly followed the pattern exactly as it's written, though I couldn't resist a little customization in the addition of some glow-in-the-dark yarn.  Who can resist glow-in-the-dark yarn?Here's the present all wrapped up and ready to go with another little t-shirt pom-pom on top.  Happy my-favorite-niece's-seventh-birthday to you all! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...